Sunday 2 August 2015

What does the way I shop say about me?




So since last week’s emotional shopping incident I’ve been thinking a lot about what is in my wardrobe and the reasons I buy things. I wondered what my shopping habits said about me and what impact this 12 month long challenge might have on me.

And here’s what I came up with:


I don’t like to feel negative emotions


Ok so at this point I guess you are thinking:

 a) no one likes to feel negative emotions   
and
 b) didn’t you cover this last week?


But what I mean is that it’s not just that I don’t like to feel these emotions but actually that I don’t let myself. And that’s crucial because most of the really emotionally healthy people I know let themselves experience what they are feeling.


I don’t. I distract myself, I don’t want to talk about it, or think about it. So I choose the one activity where I can successfully do neither – shopping.


No wonder I hate Oxford Street. It turns out I exclusively go there when I feel rubbish. I went back over every crappy day I remember in the last few years and where did I find myself at the end of it? Shopping.


I estimate about 50% of my clothes are misery garbs. Which is, you know, delightful.


I’m weirdly over concerned with what is expected of me


What does smart casual mean? What does one wear to a christening? To the ballet? To a house party in Dalston or a Hoxton club night?


Guaranteed I’ve bought a new outfit for each of these occasions.


Which is stupid because people who like you, or want to like you don’t give a crap what you are wearing. And if you are hanging out with people who don’t already like you, or aren’t open to liking you then stop it. Seriously go to another party. One where the nice people are.


So why have I spent so much time and money buying things that let me ‘fit in’ at these things? Because fitting in is comfortable. We all want to do it, and we chase that feeling of being recogmnised and approved of by people we like. Except that when we wear things that don’t fit who we are we feel inauthentic and uncomfortable and people pick that up. Intellectually I know this - sadly it doesn't prevent me from shopping to fit in really regularly.


I can’t believe how many clothes I own that I’ve only worn once because they were bought for a particular occasion. Or how many occassions I have gone to essentially in disguise, robbing myself of self expression and potentially giving people completely the wrong impression about me.

This year not having the option of buying stuff for a particular event will be a gift. Hopefully 10 more months of not having the opportunity to 'dress up' as someone different will break me of the habit.




I really enjoy not being broke


I mean come on – if you are used to having nothing to spare it’s exciting to be able to waste money.


Matt & I have spent years, YEARS, struggling to pay our rent. Living in basements, and tiny scuzzy flats, living off chana masala and beans on toast. And we were happy enough. But suddenly over the last couple of years we’ve had a bit to spare.More than we need in fact.


And because I’ve never had anything to spare I don’t WASTE exactly. I pretty much exclusively buy in the sale or from charity shops. But it is fun not to have to worry about every penny spent and somehow this has gone from treating myself on occasion to consumption for it’s own sake. Because why wouldn't I buy that £6 tshirt, if I can afford it? What a giddy rush to be able to afford it! This kind of behaviour is not really ok, and if I’m going to do it, it should be on actual consumables like wine. Rather than stuff that I get guilt every time I look at.


I try to emulate people I admire by copying their style


Not deliberately but it definitely happens. I’ve lost count of the number of clothes I’ve passed on to the people I must have been thinking about when I bought them.



The thing is I might not have nailed down my personal style. But one thing I have  got nailed is my excellent taste in friends. There is not a single one of my friends who I am not immensely proud of and who I don’t want to emulate in some way.


I want to be:


  • As considered as Cat,
  • As empathic and spontaneous as Charlie,
  • As emotionally intelligent as Chrissy,
  • As nurturing as Kristin,
  • As forthright as Racheal,
  • As dryly funny as Sarah,
  • As committed to decency and kindness as Ange,
  • I want to be as overflowing with joy as Laura and Bob,
  • As honest with myself as Jo,
  • And I want Sean’s ability to get people to be their best selves around him, Donna’s creativity, Heather’s honesty and Hannah’s absolute commitment to being who she is.

I want all of these things. And my best chance of getting them is spending my time with these people – not trying to look like them.


Again – hopefully the next 10 months is long enough to learn this lesson.




Anyway – that’s what I’ve learnt about me. And I have 10 more months to keep on learning. So what does the way you shop say about you?



And as usual – for you rules checkers – here is what I’ve worn this week

Saturday (Day 64)







Sunday (Day 65)




Monday (Day 66)



Tuesday (Day 67)


Wednesday (Day 68)


Thursday (Day 69)
For clarification - one of my friends suggested it looked like I was doing something naughty here. I am not - I'm attempting to play a slide whistle.


Friday (Day 70)

Saturday (Day 71)







No comments:

Post a Comment