Tuesday 29 September 2015

Ethical style mini post

Hello everyone,

This week has been more than a little bit full on with both a black tie event and a stag do to contend with. I'm sure I will write posts about both. But since I'm late posting this week (sorry) here's a little midweek mini-post to keep you going!

I've been meaning to write a post about ethics in fashion for a while now. Particularly about the human and environmental cost of fast fashion. But the thing is there is so much to say and I am nowhere near as knowledgable or eloquent as some of the people already writing about this.

So rather than writing myself I wanted to use this post to point you towards a peice of powerful writing I've read recently, an amazing artist and a place where buying a jumper actively does good. A pick an mix ethics blog if you like. I hope you enjoy it.

First up : This amazing guest blog by Stylewise on Seasons & Salt took my breath away when I read it a couple of weeks back. It's an astounding call out to people like me who talk proudly about the ethically sourced items in their wardrobes but still let themselves buy clothes they know have a price in human cruelty. This line hit me where I live:

"Here’s the deal: people should be treated like they matter, because they do. It’s not a great moral accomplishment to ensure that workers are treated fairly, it’s simply the right thing to do."

Seriously. Read it - it's wonderful. 

Secondly: Sometimes it takes a picture to really bring something home to me. The images below are from a collection by Alke Schmidt about conditions in texile factories. Her work is challenging and amazing - there are some more examples on her site here.








Up third is this jumper

You can buy it here.

This is what the website says about it: The Bradbury is a day centre for the over 50s. Our expert knitters meet once a week for a knit and a chat over a cup of tea. This jumper was hand-knitted by Heather. The ladies donate profits to the centre, allowing them to welcome in more of London's older people.

£65 well spent I reckon.

I'll be back with my usual long form stuff on Friday, have a good week folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment