Saturday 19 September 2015

Will the capsule work in winter?



So I’ve been feeling a bit grotty this week. Matt’s had a rotten cold, it’s rained nearly every day and I can feel winter creeping closer minute by minute.


When it’s cold outside comfy warm clothes are more important than ever. So my mind has quite naturally turned to my winter wardrobe. I've just realised that the challenge is going to be much harder on me this coming winter than summer was, because in winter (normally) I am all about layering. 


I find wrapping up in loads of different layers and textures really comforting. It’s really unusual for me to leave the house between November and February in less than 2 scarves. I regularly wear legwarmers over woolly tights and 4 or more layers on my top half. Think 1940’s bag lady/ Bloomsbury aunt and you’ll begin to get the picture.


I also love a good coat, a red belted number one day, a sequinned flapper jacket the next, with my beloved parka with its massive poacher’s pockets doing heavy duty too.


And then gloves, fingerless gloves in particular are a small obsession for me. I love them, chunky ones over thin ones – lovely, lovely warm wrists – which are so important given the amount of time Squeak and I spend tramping around outside.


I just love piling on layer after layer, snuggling into a big coat and heading out into the cold. Watching my breath crystalize in the chill winter air and having my face be numb and cold while the rest of my body is toasty – perfection.  I totted up the number of items in my favourite winter outfit from last year and it came to 12. In one outfit! And I’ve only got 35 all year. So either I need to be ok with smelling a bit fusty all winter whilst wearing my one winter outfit – or I need to come up with a different strategy for this winter!

This baby is my layering soulmate. Good work tiny person.



And having given it some serious thought I’ve decided that I have too much love and respect for my friends and colleagues to go for the stinky option. So I’ve stepped away from thinking about fashion and wrapping up and tried to think about what will work with the stuff I already have in the capsule. And found my mind kept drifting back to the way I used to dress in my early 20’s.


Until about 6 years ago I couldn’t be trusted with a pair of tights for longer than a couple of hours – I’m just so clumsy. I still at the age of 35 fall over – stone cold sober- at least once a week! These days when I ruin a pair of tights I can just get a new one – but back then surviving on a play worker’s salary that just wasn’t an option. So I wore trousers under my dresses all the time.


I had a bit of a play with this over the last week and discovered I still really like it, it’s comfortable, it’s warm, and it allows me to dress like a girl even though I still galumph all over the place like an 8 year old boy. 


So I bought myself a pair of grey jeans to test this out with and ended up wearing them all week! 

 
My new jeans. Obv this is a stock photo & not me - I don't allow photos of my arse as a rule!

They got a day off on Wednesday when they went through the wash, but besides that they have been doing some seriously heavy duty. If you follow me on instagram (@edarcherthinks) you'll be seeing a lot of them.


So 11 items left (12 if the sandals are swap outs which most of my sponsors seem to agree is sensible). How would you suggest I make sure I stay warm and can still enjoy a tramp around with the dog this winter?


While you’re thinking about how I stay warm. Think about how difficult it is for families to ensure they keep themselves and their families warm on a limited budget. I started this challenge because I was disgusted to realise how many families of disabled children go without heating or clothing in order to meet the extra costs of raising a Disabled child. Contact A Family are working tirelessly to change this. If you want to make a donation you can do so here.

Isn't that baby photo awesome? I didn't take it. Here is how to find out about the chap that did....  photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45665234@N00/3711466241">buh buh buh baby</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment