Friday 11 December 2015

It is possible to overthink a capsule wardrobe



So it’s been nearly 3 weeks since my last post. It turns out that getting ready to take a 6 week holiday from work is in fact a lot of work. I’ve been totally consumed by getting everything that’s in my head down on paper and as a result haven’t been able face going near a computer when I get home.

But I’m back now and in the time since we last spoke I’ve been super busy, and have added 3 new items to the capsule. This takes me up to a (kind of scarey) 31. I have just over 5 months left and less than 5 items to add, if it didn't feel real before the challenge certainly feels it now.

So as usual each new item comes with a bit of a story so:

Sometimes I feel like doing this year long capsule wardrobe challenge has been a bit like joining a cult. My mind has become so filled with the capsule rules that I lose track of all logical thought. This was definitely the case when it came to thinking about winter. One of the big things that people who write about capsule wardrobes tell you is to really think about how many different ways you can use any item in your wardrobe. 

And I really took that on board. My trusty mac has been with me everywhere this year, and I fully intended to use it as my winter coat as well – just with loads more layers underneath it than I use in summer. I figured that with a couple of jumpers underneath, a hat, scarfe and gloves it would be perfect.

Then on the coldest day yet this year I found myself crouched over shivering whilst waiting for a train and began to think again. I’d left myself space for gloves and a hat in the capsule – but it was becoming increasingly clear that toasty wrists would mean nothing if I could feel the cold in my internal organs.

I started to talk to my friends about ‘glove alternatives’. I was still really wedded to the mac as my outer layer for winter, so I started thinking about those winter tops that have super long sleeves with thumb holes in them as an option that doubled up as gloves. I even went as far as trying a couple on. 

I’d put them on and frown at myself in the mirror at how not to my taste they were. And then try my mac on over the top to see how that would look. This had 2 main outcomes:

1)      me getting assigned my very own not at all subtle security guard watching to check I wasn’t trying to steal anything and,

2)      a tiny bit of my soul dying as I tried to force myself to buy something I hated in the full knowledge that I’d end up wearing it every day all winter.

So I went home and cried. And my lovely husband (who is fast growing tired of this whole challenge) listened to me frowned for a bit and said: “ let me get this straight, you think you need to buy this ugly top that you have because it’ll keep your body and hands warm in winter and it’s only one item right?”

“Yes” I snivel whilst blowing my nose on my sleeve and generally acting like the world is about to end.

“And you think this is the only option, because you need to be warm, and it’ll fit under your mac so you’ll be dry too?”

“Yes” I sniff feeling conflicted about whether to be distressed about the horror of what I’m going to have to wear all winter, or smug about how clever my solution is.

“But wouldn’t a proper winter coat do all those things?”

Which is how I ended up buying a parka.

It is waterproof, faux down filled, it has multiple massive pockets, a button off padded hood and extra bonus - I don’t hate it.

So here’s my coat – I’ve worn it every day since I bought it three weeks ago – and it’ll probably get worn every day (except when I’m out of the country) until April. 




While you’re thinking about how I stay warm. Think about how difficult it is for families to ensure they keep themselves and their families warm on a limited budget. I started this challenge because I was disgusted to realise how many families of disabled children go without heating or clothing in order to meet the extra costs of raising a Disabled child. Contact A Family are working tirelessly to change this. If you want to make a donation you can do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment