Friday 4 March 2016

How to throw a clothes swap party

Clothes swapping is the most ethical way to be stylish

 
When I started this challenge more than nine months ago now I was worried I was alone. I thought that I was the only one who was finding the amount of stuff I owned stressful. I wrote blogs where I worried you'd think I was dirty for wearing the same clothes two days in a row. I worried you'd think it was weird that my sisters and I had swapped bras.
 
 
I was so wrong. So many of you got in touch to talk about how much you enjoyed getting rid of your stuff, how you were finding ways to live with less and how satisfying you found it to limit your impact on the planet by buying second hand.
 
 
So last month when I invited you to attend a clothes swapping event to help me raise cash for Contact a Family- I thought a couple of you might turn up. And again you astounded me when 80 of you bought tickets!
 
I think we showed that clothes swaps don't need to feel like jumble sales - that they can be super classy events where people can leave with stuff they'll treasure. Here's a couple of tips on how to get it done.
  • Start with a good reserve of clothes.
We asked people to bring between 3 and 6 items each. We wanted to be sure that no one was left without choice - so between us me, Bella and a couple of our friends donated a good stock of clothes to start with.
 
This skirt was one of the bits I donated.

and that pineapple dress.

  • Work out how you are going to manage the swap.
We sorted stuff as people came in so we knew how many items people brought in. We also put the really special stuff aside on a separate rail and made sure that people who brought along super lovely bits got first dibs on taking something lush home.





  • Display stuff nicely
 
Everything looks nicer when it's nicely folded or hung right? We were really lucky to have the secret garden in Shoreditch House as our venue. But it also helped that we bought baskets, trays and hangers from home to sort things in. We also put similar stuff together so people found it easier to find what they were looking for.
 



 
 
  • Give people time to rummage
 
Self evident - this one. No-one likes to be rushed.

 


  •  Think about where people are going to try things on
Some of our friends were really happy just trying things on in public. But there was a changing space for people who were more shy. If you are doing this at home it's something to think about.



  • Tell people they look great when they find something they love!
 
If you fancy running your own clothes party Contact a Family can help & you can feel doubly good because you're raising money for a great cause. Get in touch here if you need a hand.
 
Thanks to everyone who came particular thanks are due to:
 
  •  My partner in crime Bella for her organisational genius.
     
    Me & Bella stood on a table (no change there)
  • The fab Charlotte Dawe for getting us the room
Ms Dawe is the fox in the mustard cardi


No comments:

Post a Comment