Tuesday 8 March 2016

Things about being a girl I don't want for my niece

Happy International Women's Day


This morning I saw two really strong images that have stuck with me. The first was this



The second was of my niece celebrating her 4th birthday dressed as wonder woman.
Of course the juxta position between what I want for her (everything), and for my great nieces, and the daughters of my friends, and what that ticking down clock tells me they are likely to get is pretty shocking. I want to believe that living as they do in a wealthy country that their gender won’t make any difference to what they can achieve.

And relative to the rest of the world, my niece will be doing alright in terms of the protections the law offers her. But here’s a couple of gendered experiences I hope have disappeared by the time she’s a teenager (but I fear won’t have):

-          Being worried about what her career choices (& habits) say about her as a woman


I don’t want her to have to be an ambassador for all women if she chooses to be a pilot or a firefighter. Neither do I want people to assume she’s not a feminist if she’s a hairdresser or a stay at home mum. I want her to be able to choose what makes her happy on her own behalf without considering her gender – and I want that for boys too.

-          Being taught to equate being liked with being mistreated


Most women I know had to ‘grow out’ of bad boys. Men who treated them with distain, bullies really. And is this any wonder when little girls get told ‘it’s only because he likes you’ when they get teased or their hair pulled. We’re teaching girls to equate disrespect with love. And that’s awful for everyone. At school I once heard a girl say (about a delightful, and very straight guy), ‘I’m sorry he’s so lovely- I’m sure he must be gay.’ WHAT!!! Let’s leave aside the weird assumption your sexuality has any impact on how pleasant a human being you are, and consider what she actually meant here. What she meant was – he’s so nice he can’t possibly find me attractive, and anyway since he’s kind I don’t fancy him either. What an awful thing to do to girls. What an awful thing to do to boys! I want society to teach girls it’s ok to fancy boys who’ll be nice to them, that’s not too much to ask is it?

-          Being sexualised without her consent, and when she is too young to understand it.


I don’t want her to get whistled at from cars, to be approached on the street by men calling her baby. I don’t want her to be told she should be flattered by the attention, or that she’ll break a load of hearts when she grows up. I don’t want her to have to think about what dressing comfortably in summer might make some men think about when she is 12 (or 15 or 17 or 67 for that matter) years old.

-          Being taught about sex without being taught about pleasure.


Sex education in this country starts with an erection and ends with ejaculation (I wish I could lay claim to that phrase but I stole it off my mate Ester – you can read her stuff here). Isn’t that awful – we get taught how to know if a man is turned on, but not whether we are. I was in my 20’s before I worked out what really floated my boat (a phrase that with better sex education we’d consider super filthy), and loads of girls just assume their first time will be painful or unpleasant. Women have sex with men who don’t turn them on all the time. And they do that because sex education focuses on really liking someone and not how you can tell if you physically fancy them. You can really really like someone and not want to have sex with them – that’s called friendship – it’s awesome. You can really, really want to have sex with someone but have no interest in being their friend – and that’s fine too. One day hopefully you have a buddy that you want to have sex with – that’s the ideal, but it’s not the only way.

-          Being defined by what she chooses to do with her vagina


She won’t be frigid if she says no to someone she doesn’t want to sleep with. Nor will she be a slut if she says yes to someone she does. She’ll be herself and valuable for a million other things. I’d be delighted if the rest of the world accepted that.

-          Being offered male help (& feeling able to accept it)


I’ve been really lucky throughout my career to have been mentored by some amazing and powerful women. I’ve also been lucky to be mentored by some really fabulous men. And that can be more unusual – not because there aren’t loads of guys out there who just want to develop the brightest people regardless of their gender. But because there are risks around the perception of why an older man would take a younger woman out for a coffee to talk about their career that there simply aren’t for same sex mentor/ mentee relationships. I’m lucky that the men who’ve taught me about business planning, finance, about how it’s ok to get angry - but not so ok to show it in meetings, these guys were brave enough, and sensible enough to ignore what people might think and treat me the same as they would a young guy with my potential and my faults. I don’t want my niece to have to worry that her male co-workers have ulterior motives for helping her – or for those colleagues not to offer her a hand for fear of how it’ll make them look.  I want her to be a brain at work, not an ornament or liability.

-          Being told what a woman is (or a man for that matter)


Men who are direct are direct. Women who are direct are bossy or bitches. Women who are sensitive to the emotions of people around them are women, but men who react this way are soft. It’s bollocks. If we can get away from ladylike, manning up, being a good girl or a brave boy. If we could get to a place where all we had to be was ourselves – the world would be a much better place, for my nieces, and my great nieces, and for my nephews too.

Let's keep working towards that shall we. Happy International Women's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment