Saturday 30 May 2015

Selfie hatred (Day 5)

I hate having my photo taken. Always have.

My nephew Sam describes me as the anti- Barney Stinson. For those of you that haven't watched 'How I met your mother' this is Barney Stinson.





There is a running joke in the show that you just can't get a bad photo of Barney, whatever he is doing no matter how undignified you take a photo and he looks just like he does above straightening his tie.

And the opposite of that is me. I'm a gawky, clumsy girl who gets very excited about things and moves around a lot. This makes me amusing to be around but it doesn't make for good photos AT ALL. I have lost count of the number of family photos I've ruined by gurning, or doing something weird with my hands, or somehow rolling my eyes back into my head. And I'm not doing it deliberately - I would love to take a good picture but I just don't. 

Here are a couple of examples:
 
 
......and those are ones I allowed myself to be tagged in on facebook! 

I didn't really think about this when I set up this challenge but the act of taking and then posting online photos of me everyday for a year is pretty hideous. 

So I'm going to have to get over this hatred pretty quickly.

Day 2 saw me taking my first ever selfie - this is not a medium I enjoy at all. It's so self regarding, false and entirely set up. It also feels really anti social.  I can see the point if you are recording something, proving a point or asking an opinion - but otherwise go outside, hang around with someone you like and then if you want your photo taken get them to take it. I don't care how pretty you are your mirror does not provide good conversation.

By Day 5 I was on selfie 3


I think you can actually see my soul being sucked out in this. It is just so joyless. So from now on I'm going to try to avoid the selfie & when I am out with people I like, I'm going to get them to take the photos.

I'm also going to learn from a couple of my more photogenic chums how to pose. Something I have never felt motivated to do before and I am sure will look ridiculous at least initially. But there are  360 of these photos to go - so I think for all our sakes I should try.

No comments:

Post a Comment