Friday 2 October 2015

Is it guilt that's making me so tired?


Well I am officially exhausted. Knackered - just worn to the bone. In fact I'm coming around to the idea that claiming 'I'm too old for this shit' is not the ironic statement it once was and that actually I might want to slow it down a little.

I'm wondering why it is I feel so very tired. I've looked through the last couple of weeks photos and you can physically see my face getting greyer like someone used the wrong shade of plasticine to build me. And I've actually been very kind to myself over the last couple of months, I have tried to book less in my diary, I've condensed my hours at work and I'm often in bed for 9:30. I'm only 35. This can’t be what it feels like to be old already.

 And then last night I realised. It's guilt. That's why I'm so tired.  In my experience women suffer more with guilt than men. And that's not me saying men are wrong. On this one I think they've got it pretty sorted. All of those films where lads punch it out and then are best mates the next day, they are reflective of a less dramatic reality where it's acceptable for a bloke to say " I was a dick - I'm sorry" and that's it it's forgotten, and that doesn't happen as much with girls.

I want to be specific - it's not that I think that girls are unforgiving of each other - that's nonsense. My whole friendship group has some extraordinary shit we've forgiven one another for "we all fuck up" is a bit of a motto round these parts. But I think a lot of women (and I am certainly one of them) really struggle to forgive themselves.

Some things I'm feeling guilty about this week:
  • I haven't phoned my mum or any of my sisters
  • I'm not 100% the dress I'm wearing to Bob and Laura's wedding is right
  • We're leaving the dog with friends when we go on holiday
  • I haven't got as much done as I wanted to at work (though I have worked 38 hours in a 4 day week)
  •  I feel like I'm gaining weight
  • I don't think I'm keeping up with the news enough
  • My twitter feed is full of auto posts because I'm too busy to actually communicate with people
  • 4 mates who are having bad weeks have called and I couldn't find time to see them
  • I lost my camera
  • I don't know enough about what's happening in Syria
  • I think I was a bit short with someone at work
  • My house isn't clean enough & we still haven't finished the bathroom
  • I'm really tired and this must be due to some fault in my personality.
Honestly I could fill about 4 posts with this shit. I feel guilty, or inadequate - like I'm getting away with something by having my interesting job and nice life - all the time. And I worry about it so much that the resulting tiredness is my tithe for the good stuff. 

And it's not helping anyone - I know I could rephrase each of those negatives as an achievement or something to be proud of. But I'm a little bit afraid of pride. Isn't pride a bit well - arrogant? Whereas guilt - guilt reflects modesty, and all good girls are modest aren't they?

I think that is what at some level I believe - that this stupid pointless guilt I carry around with me (that guy who banged his head on the tube doors as the door closed - should I have asked if he was ok? He looked ok - did I seem uncaring?) makes me a better person. That worrying about the stuff I didn't do is somehow equivalent to doing it. 

Actually guilt makes me a crappy person. It makes me too tired to do the good things I could be doing. Things that would benefit me and the people around me far more than my constant monitoring of my list of failures does.

So I'm going on holiday this week. And while I'm gone I'm going to drop my guilt list into the sea, and try really really hard to see the stuff I should be proud of. And of course there is a danger that that pride will mean I come back arrogant. But I'm rephrasing that too. I think on boys its called confidence.

I'm leaving my guilt list here


If one of the things on your 'shit I haven't done it yet' list is donating to Contact a Family - that's an easy fix the link is here

You'll notice I haven't updated the daily photos for a while. I'm sorry it takes an age and since I've lost my camera & broken my phone it is a bit more of a challenge than usual. I may have lost a couple of days in the kerfuffle - but I'm hoping to piece together a full set from other people’s photos of stuff I was at. But not until I'm back from my hols! 




This is where the photo is from:

photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36651120@N07/21365480432">Sailing in Croatia 555</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment