Thursday 18 June 2015

What do they call double denim in NYC? The Texas Tux? Disappointingly No




So far in the challenge lots of people seem a bit concerned about what I’m wearing out. Not  OUT out – everyone’s clear I’m far too conventional to allow myself to be inappropriately dressed for a wedding, and they know I’ll have made sure I have smart enough stuff for presentations  and work events. People are worried about what I’ll have t for evening drinks in town.

It’s true that there isn’t much in my wardrobe that’ll work for a cutting edge bar in Shoreditch – but I thought I’d got it sorted. Double denim . Jeans, denim shirt, heels and a slick of lipstick. It’s a classic no? 

Every year a glut of fashion magazines announce that we’ll be amazed to hear double denim is back. And we aren’t because it’s never really gone away. Yes, there is a risk you look like you’re dressed up as a cowgirl – but I’m ok with that. So I’ve full on embraced the looks other nickname – the Texas tux.

I love a bit of bluegrass, and deeply uncool as it is I also have a lot of time for 70’s country and western. Rule of thumb – if my dad played it in his car I love it. One of my happiest childhood memories is me, Zoe & Jason in the back of the spacecruiser roaring along to Grandma’s OldFeather Bed  – that is what family is all about right? And I’ve always wanted to do the old City Slickers cow herding thing – so the name always felt cool to me.



Until I met my lovely friend Leah for lunch on Sunday. Leah is a full on Yankee, with all the epic coolness that implies. She’s sharp, she’s got a filthy sense of humour and has insanely good hair. Sickening all round really.

When Leah asked the- “But with that few clothes what do you wear to bars?” question I replied almost cockily “the classic texas tux”

And Leah attempted to stifle an enormous snort. “that is not what we call in in NYC – in New York it’s called ………..

……A CANADIAN TUXEDO”

Her face made it very clear this was not intended as a compliment.

Thing is I’ve always had a soft spot for Canadians – they take a lot of stick for Celine Dion – but really what nation doesn’t have a star that they are a bit ashamed of – David Essex anyone?  When I first traveled with friends I met countless Americans who wore a Canada pin because they knew people would be more friendly to them if they thought they were Canadian. This was in ’99 – it wasn’t political. It was about politeness- that’s the reputation Canadians carry (excepting the odd crack smoking mayor) – that they are polite. I’m not ashamed to hang my hat there (even if I’d rather it was a Stetson). 

So regardless of NYC disdain you’ll find me at the bar rocking my Canadian tux.

P.S. Philanthropy is well cool – you can donate here.











No comments:

Post a Comment